Wednesday, March 16, 2011

perspective

Last Monday I attended the funeral for Allie Greene. She was only 31 and passed away from Colon Cancer. Gone way too soon. Her husband Brian has been a friend of mine for years. They were only married for just under 6 years. Their story had just begun. It was cut too short. Life is too short. At the funeral Brian said something that has stuck with me and has changed my perspective on things. He said "now that Allie is in heaven she is cancer free" It is true. Now that my mom is gone she will never ever have to battle that horribly ugly disease. She is forever cancer free. What a great thought. I have been trying to look at things differently. Trying to turn my view of things in a different direction. Yes it is incredibly hard having Lucy in the hospital and visiting her day after day, but at least she is still here. And by the grace of God she will be home in a month. Some mothers don't get to take their babies home. That crushes me the thought of that. Yes I am devastated that my mom died and I am left her at 31 without a mom, but Rylie Greene is only 3, she will have no real clear memory of her mom. I had 31 years of memories with her. The terror that Japan is facing right now is unbelievable. I can't imagine what pain they all must be dealing with. Mothers trying to find their children, children trying to find their mothers. That is their reality now and it is a nightmare. My reality is not a nightmare. It is just a little hard. We will make it through. We are making a donation to the Red Cross, I urge you to do the same. I also challenge you to change your perspective on your life. It is so easy to feel sorry for yourself and the tough things life throws at you, but try and see things differently you might be surprised at how much better you feel.

2 comments:

  1. Sister, I saw this story on CNN yesterday and after reading this I thought you might enjoy it. http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/15/california.student.japan/index.html?hpt=C1#

    How amazing is her sister?

    ReplyDelete
  2. continuing to pray for you, Paige, and for little Lucy. Your mom is never far from my thoughts. I am walking in the Relay for Life in Corona with her in my heart. May the Lord continue to be with you and bring health to Lucy and peace to you all.

    ReplyDelete